We all know someone who is into clean eating. Hey, maybe you are one of those people… just like me. It’s not hard to understand why someone believes in the importance of eating real food, staying away from processed junk, and paying attention to what you put inside your body. Surely eating nutrient dense, whole foods is going to fuel your body in a better and healthier way.
But what about the stuff you put on your body? Does it even matter?
Your skin is the largest organ of your body, and it takes only seconds for your skin to begin absorbing the ingredients of whatever products you choose to put on it.
Everything from soap to face wash to makeup to shampoo, your skin soaks it up and those chemicals make their way into your bloodstream. And there are a lot of chemicals in the hundreds of products we use and consume everyday. Not every chemical is harmful (water is a chemical after all!), but there are many toxic ones to avoid.
There are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today. Many don’t have any safety data. This is particularly true of those used in the skincare and beauty industry.
Most people assume that if a product is on the shelves, it’s safe. This is America, after all! Unfortunately, that is not the case. The United States beauty industry does not have very much regulation (if any), so it’s up to YOU to check the ingredients and stay away from the bad stuff. Companies can use practically any ingredient or raw material without government review or approval.
So why should you make an effort to remove these toxic ingredients from your daily life?
Well, in a day and age when problems such as hormonal imbalance, infertility, asthma, allergies, developmental issues, and cancer are on the rise, it’s up to us to make better and more informed decisions about the products we use and buy for our families. Lightening our toxic loads is a very doable thing we can do to help ourselves and our families live healthier lives.
Luckily for you, I’ve done the research and I’m here to help you figure it out. I have spent the last four years switching over all of our products to be as clean and safe as possible, while still effective. As someone who spent years struggling with infertility and multiple miscarriages, I feel very strongly about this issue and have made it a priority for my family.
It may take a bit of time to make changes, but it is 100% worth it. And I’m here to make the journey easier for you.
What makes Beautycounter different?
- Beautycounter has chosen to ban more than 2,800 ingredients setting a new health and safety standard-all while ensuring the products perform, and that they are as indulgent as any luxe shampoo, lipstick or oil in the market.
- Beautycounter screens EVERY ingredient for safety, looking for information on specific hazards like cancer, developmental toxicity, hormone disruption and infertility.
- Beautycounter does not test products or ingredients on animals.
- Beautycounter sources ingredients responsibly. Over 80% of the ingredients are organic, natural or plant-derived. The others are synthetic, but screened and safe.
- Beautycounter believes in transparency and shares EVERY ingredient used. There are no hidden flavors, fragrances or secret preservatives left off of the labels.
- Beautycounter third party batch tests their products for heavy metals, which are harmful and very dangerous and can even be classified as neurotoxins. Heavy metals, such as lead, can bring about birth defects, impaired brain functioning and other issues.
- Beautycounter has a goal that by 2025, 100% of its packaging will be recycled, recyclable, refillable, reused, or compostable.
- Beautycounter is working to get stronger legislation passed so the products we use will be held to higher and safer standards.
Decades of studies indicate that serious health issues (including, but not limited to asthma, learning disabilities, cancer and infertility) are on the rise, and due in some part to our ongoing exposure to toxic chemicals-whether it’s in the shower, on our commute, while we eat lunch at a local restaurant, or when we clean our kitchens at home.
WE DESERVE BETTER.
Remember it is impossible to avoid every harmful chemical and toxin out there, and it’s crazy expensive to attempt to overhaul everything all at once. But when you run out of something, think about replacing it with a safer choice. Switch out that face cleanser for one with clean ingredients. Treat yourself to a pretty lip gloss that’s lead-free or some yummy smelling hand cream without parabens and phthalates. And before you know it, you will have lightened your toxic load significantly.
—> Check out this blogpost to learn more about how to support Beautycounter’s mission!