Grain Free Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter ghee, or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- Dash of vanilla extract
For chocolate icing:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- *Sprinkles are a fun topping! I like Color Kitchen Foods for a safer option.
- Place parchment paper liners in muffin tins (this recipe usually makes me about 15 cupcakes).
- Add dry ingredients together in bowl (almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, add eggs, melted fat, maple syrup, coconut milk, and vanilla. Use mixer to combine well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until smooth. You might need to taste the batter at this point to make sure it's ok ...
- Fill lined muffin cups with batter about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. (I'm always a fan of the lower baking times). Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in double boiler over medium heat. Stir often and remove from heat when chocolate is smooth. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Take each cupcake and turn upside down, then swirl it around to coat the top in the chocolate. Let chocolate drip off before flipping right side up.
- Add sprinkles if desired. Don't wait too long before doing this because the icing will begin to harden. The upside to this is the sprinkles stay on really well!
- Time to celebrate!