Grain Free Double Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 1 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter ghee, or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- Dash of vanilla extract
For the chocolate icing
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- *You can double these ingredients for a thicker icing on top
- Properly grease your loaf pan, this is so important! I melt 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil and swirl it around in the loaf pan to make sure the bottom and sides are well coated. Use a napkin to get any nooks and crannies. Pour out any excess.
- Add dry ingredients together in bowl (almond flour, arrowroot powder, coconut flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, add eggs, melted fat, maple syrup, coconut milk, and vanilla. Use mixer to combine well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and edges are starting to pull away from sides of pan. (I'm always a fan of the lower baking times). Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- FOR THE ICING: Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in double boiler over medium heat. Stir often and remove from heat when chocolate is smooth. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pour melted chocolate over top of loaf cake. Use spatula to make sure all surface area is covered. No worries if it slips into the sides! It actually makes the cake prettier AND tastier.
- Put loaf cake in refrigerator until icing hardens. This usually takes mine about 2 hours or so.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and carefully remove from pan. Even though the icing is a bit hard, the cake should slice easily. Store in refrigerator.