Basic Cauliflower Rice
I distinctly remember the first time my husband made cauliflower rice. We were living in Alabama, and he had agreed to do a Whole30 with his sister. Outwardly, I was super supportive! Internally I was rolling my eyes and thinking, "This is going to be totally gross. Gag." Clearly I still have the mind of a 15-year-old girl. Y'all, cauliflower rice is delicious! Okay, it's totally not rice. Like at all. But it's a really yummy seasoned veggie that tricks your body into thinking it's getting a starchy carb. And you can walk away from the table not feeling like you have a brick in your stomach. Fun fact: My 13-year-old prefers cauliflower rice over regular rice. He won't even touch regular rice, not even at a restaurant. BOOM. Be still my nutritional therapist's heart. I'm totally rocking this parenting gig.
- 1 head of cauliflower head chopped in food processor or one 16 oz. bag of riced cauliflower (Trader Joe's is the best IMO!)
- 2-3 tablespoons ghee butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- Sea Salt
- Cracked pepper
- Minced garlic optional
- Put cauliflower florets in food processor and chop until course. Avoid using the cauliflower stalk (I think it has a funny taste) and make sure not to chop too finely or your rice will be mushy!
- You can totally skip the above step if your lucky self has access to Trader Joe's riced cauliflower.
- Heat your fat of choice over medium heat until shimmering, then add the onion (and minced garlic if using). Stir often until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add riced cauliflower and stir until well mixed with onions and fat.
- Season with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Cover and cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Don't overcook because then it's mushy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!