Paleo Beef Stew
- 1.5 - 2 pounds grass fed beef stew meat
- Cooking oil/fat of choice I used ghee
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 rounded teaspoons + 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's Herbes de Provence poultry seasoning can be substituted
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 pound new potatoes cut into halves or quarters
- Sea salt
- Cracked pepper
- In a large bowl, mix arrowroot, 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add the stew meat and toss until well coated.
- Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the cooking fat and allow it to get quite hot, then add the beef and brown on all sides. Let a little crust form each piece. Then remove the meat and set it on a separate plate. (If the meat sticks to the pan, the oil is not hot enough!)
- Once the meat is browned and set aside, add the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and garlic to the same pan. (I usually add a bit more cooking fat to the pan for this). Sauté the vegetables until they’re soft and golden, about 8-10 minutes. Add the tomato paste, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, bay leaf, and 2 teaspoons of herbes de provence. Cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and broth and stir to combine. Lastly, add the beef and accumulated juices to the pot. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Cut the new potatoes and toss them with 1 tablespoon of the herbes de provence. Once the stew has simmered for one hour, add the potatoes to the pot and simmer for another hour. Beef and potatoes should be fork tender.
- Uncover and stir 1/2 tsp of arrowroot powder into the stew. Let simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- By this point, your kitchen smells like heaven! Serve in soup bowls and enjoy that amazing flavor. It's seriously so delicious.