Paleo Pumpkin Soup with Spicy Roasted Pepitas
For the soup:
- 3 T ghee or butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 & 1/2 cup bone broth or chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of organic pumpkin
- 1 14.5 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk
For the spicy pepitas:
- 1/2 cup pepitas pumpkin seeds
- Avocado or olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper
- Melt ghee or butter in pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and spices. Saute until onions are translucent and spices are smelling delicious!
- Stir in pumpkin, tomatoes, and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add honey and coconut milk and heat thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Puree with immersion blender if desired. (Just depends on your desired soup consistency!)
- While soup is simmering, toss the pepitas with the oil and spices. (I just sprinkle a little of each on top and toss until they are coated with the spice mixture.)
- Toast in the oven at 325 degrees for about 12-15 minutes. Make sure to stir them around a couple of times while cooking.
- Serve soup with a drizzle of coconut milk and top with spicy pepitas.